Friday, August 29, 2014

Jesus's Birthday Party

I work with other people's kids all week long, so asking me to volunteer my time on the weekend to help with more kids that aren't mine is not something I jump at the chance to do.  That being said, when people in your church say that they desperately need people to help on Sunday afternoons or they might not be able to do the AWANA program for the kids, you do it.  Even though I'm not Catholic, that Catholic guilt worked like a charm and I caved, I was now officially helping with the youngest group of 4 and 5 year olds.  It wasn't going to be too bad, once every few months, rotating the weekends with some of the other moms who caved to the guilt as well.

One of my weekends happened to be when we were celebrating Christmas.  I just knew that I had it made, quick lesson plan, then onto Jesus's birthday party complete with cake, ice cream, and a short little video.  I got pretty cocky about the fact that I didn't even have to remember to pick up snacks, it was all provided for me.

Everything was going great, kids were a little hyper due to the fact that they knew were going to a birthday party as soon as the lesson was over.  I herded my bunch of kids to the fellowship hall and got them settled in with their cake, ice cream and a glass of milk.  The movie started and I settled in my seat to enjoy the last 45 minutes of my volunteer work.

Right as I was starting to relax and thinking "this isn't so bad" it all came to an abrupt end and it certainly wasn't a good end.  I looked over at my group of kids and one of the boys was standing up in his chair with his pants pulled down and was rubbing his......well you know. 

Forgetting where I was and what I was doing I yelled "What the hell are you doing?!? This is Jesus's birthday party, put that away and watch your movie!!"  He quickly did as we told and moved on.  Me? I could not move on NEAR as quickly.  I was in shock that I had just witnessed such an act at Jesus's birthday party, I mean who does THAT at Jesus's birthday party?!?! It's not YOUR birthday party.  

It honestly took me a few minutes to remember that maybe I shouldn't have said "what the hell are you doing?"  but that was still pretty filtered for me and definately it could have been a whole lot worse.
But really, who the hell does that at Jesus's birthday party???
-Rachelle Morris

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh Rachelle I'm laughing so hard!!! And totally shocked also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still shocked, I mean really, who DOES that?!?! And needless to say I haven't been asked back to do AWANA....:)

      Delete